 Dear LEGO / 2939
2938  |  2940
Subject:
Eccentric Slope Packs!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:57:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There is a clear need for service packs of small quantities of unusual slopes.
LEGO itself has provided evidence:  Page 31 of the January S@H catalog has
building suggestions for Bulk Paks (incidentally, the suggestions are a great
idea) for a bus stop and a school.  The roofs look---weird.  Why?  Well,
clearly the bus stop needs to be finished with two 1/2 pyramid red slopes and
the school needs a 2-stud long roof topper for its bell tower.  But the
pictures cannot include those pieces, because Lego does not currently offer
them (certainly not in service packs, possibly at all).

The solution:  introduce a successor to <set:5151>, the 45 degree slope pack.
Currently, 25 of the pieces in 5151 are available in Bulk Paks in Red and Black
(not Brown, yet. . .).  A *new* set, consisting say of the remaining types of
pieces in 5151, with perhaps two more of each type of piece (to bring up the
piece count to around 50) would be an excellent $4.99 service pack.

Disadvantage:  Probably a lot fewer units sold compared to most Bulk Paks.

Advantage:  These pieces are probably too uncommon to justify a package of
25-50 each for most consumers, so they will not be available in Bulk Paks.  On
the other hand, they greatly enhance the attractiveness of existing Bulk Paks,
probably resulting in greater sales for those units.

For example, although I have not yet purchased any Bulk Paks, I can see myself
cheerfully dropping a few hundred dollars on a light gray version of <set:3497>
(2x4 45 deg slopes)---if a set of unusual slope pieces such as I have described
above were available.  Otherwise, why bother?  The slopes available in Bulk
Paks would be useless to me without spending *thousands* of dollars on X-Wings
and Slave Is for the concave and convex corners.

TWS Garrison