 Dear LEGO / 1980
Re: The Lego Outlets as a huge Jumbalaya (sp?) Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:57:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Matthew Teets writes:
I think
that every once in awhile they should have a Jumbalaya event where they bring
in a barrel and allow people to sort through it and take pieces for say... • $.10
a piece.  To be fair maybe they would have to form a line and allow only 10
pieces per person, before you had to get back in line, but I think it could • be
a really fun event if they did other stuff too (exhibits, demos, etc).  With
the number of new LIC's and Outlets they are talking about, it should be • close
enough to everyone to at least get there one time a year.  I know Lego Direct
will be great for big purchases, I'm just thinking of the ability to pick up • a
couple windows and other odd parts that probably won't be offered.  Thoughts?

I think this is a GREAT idea. And it would make up to the locals some of the
raw deal I think they're currently getting (between not taking phone orders • and
not shipping to locals) at the outlets.

I read your other post and I feel your pain. Not sure I 100% agree with
everything you said about the situation but you did post some rare sets
(however I would point out what I have always said, when you see something in • a
store that you personally might want, buy it... don't post it and come back
later, that is the sure way to get disappointed.

If there is a particular set (or sets) in the list of sets that were direct
sold, and I got more than one of it, it's yours for my cost. Because you're
right, up to a point. You did perform a valuable service and (while I feel • it's
your own fault for not buying what you wanted right then and there) you got a
disappointment handed to you.

++Lar

Actually I always buy first, but I'm a set collector, I'm not really after
specific pieces for a project I'm building, so I usually only buy 1 each
anyway.  But after that I'm happy to share because I like the hobby itself.  I
think that Lego should realize it is a hobby and do shows (because selling
additional sets is really what their after anyway.)  The outlet they are in in
Georgia has a lot of space and if they set up demonstrations and exhibits I'm
sure the mall and all the stores would be more than happy with the additional
draw of people.  Plus quite frankly I've never seen the Mindstorms stuff in
action and I think I might be able to really enjoy it, but that $200 initial
starting price is a little intimidating for something I might not use after
the first time.  This would be a great chance for Lego to show itself in a
great light, and long time hobbyists would show in droves for the Jumbalaya
event just for the windows and other special parts.  JMHO.

Matt