 Dear LEGO / 1945
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 02:13:17 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

move stock, what you end up doing is either, a) spend more money in • keeping it
in storage/wharehousing so that you can sell it at the price you think you
will be able to get a reasonable return on it, or b) you sell it off to
someone who move it for you, and forget the profit, let's just not take a
loss.  There is a third alternative here; Outlet store. You control the • price,
you reduce the wharehousing, and your overhead goes down.  You may not • make
the exact amount you thought you were gonna, but you will still end up • with a
profit. Well, hopefully.

You can always sell it yourself at a loss.  Although this is not a very
practical business model there's no escaping the fact that some products are
dogs and you'd do well to get something out of them vs. letting them sit on
the shelf until the cows come home.  The drawback to this is that it
requires management with the guts to admit mistakes and accept the
consequences.

The question still remains, what happens when really really rare stuff • comes
up.  If I were the manager, and my goal it to move all that I can, (and • trust
me, I get shown all the stuff I want to buy but can't everytime I walk • into
that infernally wonderful place in VA.), I would get word to those people • I
know will move it quickly out of my store.  I'm no bussiness major, but • the
principle is sound enough to me.  My bonus at the end of the sales year
depends on me moving anything and everything in my store. If my inventory • can
be completely replaced within a year, (I'd would have thought that would • be
hard to do not that long ago, but my opinion is in flux now,) I'll do it.

When I managed a bookstore several years ago the goal was three turns a
year.  If an item didn't do at least that it was returned or discounted
until it was gone.

It's my opinion (formed from being at various times on all sides of the
issue) that this whole discussion is a big waste of time.  From the managers
standpoint he did what he was expected to do...move the product in the most
efficient manner possible.  Some people seem to have a hard time with this
concept, but it boils down to this:

TLC does NOT pay him to make customers happy.  He's there to make money for
the company.  If he can do both then so much the better.

As far as the haves vs. have-nots issue goes...GROW UP.  The bottom line is
that the choices we make in life (what job do we take?  how much education
do we have?  married or single?  kids or no?  lego vs. food?) determine
which camp we end up in.  If our choices put us in the have-not camp WHO ARE
WE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PERKS EXTENDED TO THE HAVES?!?!  I chose to be
where I am...Larry didn't put me here.

Will