 Dear LEGO / 1916
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:04:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Marchetti writes:

I'm gonna skip most of the rest of your drivel and just focus on a few • points.

How much more should they have charged to cover the increased costs of • calling
36 different people so each one could get ONE nebula outpost? Catch a • clue.
What if they called 36 and only got 15 takers? What then?

Posting to the internet is practically free, or cheap enough that I may • call
it so -- especially for a business, especially for TLC which already has • a web
presence.  For crying out loud, they could post to RTL via Alta Vista, • Juno,
whatever they have local to them.

Who said they haven't. Not sure what this has to do with anything. Whether • it's
them calling us or them posting and us calling them means little, really. • Them
posting means that the spoils go to those who read the groups the most. • Them
calling means they pick the order (if they think about it, who knows... • after
this I may be last on the list, that's OK)

Who said anything about the outlet calling 36 people by phone?

You did, by implication. I was referring to the the fact that when they • called
me, they had 36 Nebula outposts not already claimed and showing as • inbound. I
took all 36. Under your scheme, they should have rationed me to one, • right?  So
in that scheme they'd then have to call 35 more people, or handle 35 • people
deciding to call in at some point (like when they were busy, the manager • called
ME when it was convenient for HIM),

If the manager, or other employee, had contacted 36 potential buyers with
the offer of this set, it would lead to 36 happy customers (assuming they
all wanted this rather dull set <set:6899>). These 36 customers may then
went on to buy other items, or be more likely to do so in the future. I do
not really think Larry is a fault here, as the next person the outlet called
may well have taken the offer. Furthermore, I think all these issues were
debated well & truly as part of the Blue Hooper saga, so I think, especially
since some people are getting excited about this, we shpuld try to avoid
re-cycling old news.

Scott A

or hope that people who happened to come to
the mall for other stuff bought some, eventually. Maybe. Or maybe not, and • the
stuff would get remaindered to MacFrugals.

Maybe, just maybe, TLC wants to sell out their stock faster than before. • The
outlets are a way to do that, and further, people who buy large lots are • the
outlets best friends.

Nebula Outposts are not worth much to the GP. They are to me, I need them • for
something I'm building.

Let's repeat, see if you can keep up this time... The cost to TLC of • selling a
bunch of stuff to one person is much less than the cost to sell one item • each
to a bunch of people. You can wish that away all you want, just like you • can
wish for 24 cent gas. But wishes won't repeal cause and effect.

Rant all you want, but TLC makes more money selling to me than to you. So • it's
in their interest to do so. If you don't like it, tough.

As for TLC being a "collector company" be glad they're not Hasbro. That's • a
collector company.

"Silverback preening"? Grow up. Mike knows a bit more about biz than you • do,
I'd venture to guess. No matter what your degrees may say.

He may.  I don't know him and he doesn't know me well enough to judge. • Nor do
you, I might add.  Your guesses are worth nought to me, pretty much like • the
rest of the stuff you merely assert without any real support.

I am judging you *purely* by what you say and nothing else. That's enough • for
me. Are you claiming that you're not to be taken at face value? That • actually,
you're somehow different than what you put forth here? I'm willing to be • judged
by what I say here, no more and no less.

What I read from what you say is this: You want the world to be a "fairer"
place, that is, better for you, and worse for me because you're going to
redistribute my wealth away by restricting my ability to trade freely so
everyone gets a "fair share".

That's not an unsupported assertion, that's what you said, and what it • implies.

The last time this debate came up I swore I'd not get dragged into it • again but
you are posting such cockamamie stuff it's hard not to.

++Lar