 Dear LEGO / 1616
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:28:25 GMT

Brad Justus wrote:

To everyone at LUGNET:

My apologies for what may have been the longest recorded case of AFK ("away
from the keyboard") in recent memory. But believe me, it was all in a good
cause - I think all LEGO enthusiasts (and particularly AFOLs) will be pleased
with the plans we are now putting into action.

We are very aware of the excitement, interest, and even skepticism which the
messages announcing LEGO Direct have created. And we are working very hard to
build community and direct commerce initiatives which will be worth not only of
the LEGO brand but of your high expectations. This, of course, demands much
attention and toil, and so unfortunately I've not had as much time to spend on
these boards as I would like. But we are reading and taking note of your
interests and desires.

We've spent most of the last several weeks finishing and presenting the LEGO
Direct business plan, as well as putting key pieces of our organization and
partnerships into place. Our funding is approved and we have the enthusiastic
support of our Executive Team. We're working on our design, our infrastructure,
our distribution and fulfillment arrangements - really, all the pieces that go
into building a world-class effort (both on- and off-line) in community
experience and commerce. (And let me reiterate again that this is indeed a
global effort - LEGO Direct will launch its initial offering beyond the US.
We're still working on exactly how many markets we'll be able to serve from the
beginning - this is more a function of fulfillment capability than anything
else - but this is very definitely not an American-only operation. And we'll
move into as many markets globally as we can as quickly as we can, likely over
a period of months from our initial launch.)

I can say now that we are building our new offerings not to a narrow focus with
limited age appeal (i.e. what has been perceived as the "traditional" LEGO
target of children). Instead, we recognize that our appeal extends over a wide
range of ages and interests, and that LEGO has a value proposition not only for
younger children, but for young parents, families, older children and
teenagers, and - most decidedly - adults. Nor do we view LEGO Mindstorms as our
only product with adult appeal; the health and vitality of LUGNET is testament
to the interest our core play materials products hold for everyone. So we will
be reshaping our direct-to-consumer presence, both online and offline (for
example, the LEGO club), to be much more attuned to the needs and interests of
our consumers.

Among other activities, we will be helping to enable and participate in LEGO
communities for older (i.e. adult) enthusiasts, and we will create (over time)
products and other offerings with specific appeal to this group. This means not
only bulk buying, but perhaps exclusive playthemes or product lines that are
made even more valuable by the participation and input of the community.

We intend also to provide support, either financial or otherwise, to as many of
the LEGO communities and clubs out there (both online and off) as we can. I've
even spoken to Todd Lehman regarding how we can provide support for LUGNET
(without, of course, in any way comprising its independence. And we're also
working on organizing a couple of events at our first-ever LEGO Club Convention
at LEGOLAND California in July which should have interest specifically for
AFOLs.

And what (I hear you saying) about bulk buying? Well, it's definitely
happening. We are working right now on determining how many items we can offer
initially - though I should tell you, it will necessarily be a limited number
at first as we test our manufacturing and distribution capabilities for this.
In addition to a selection of standard bricks, we will also be offering a dozen
or so "non-standard" items which we will, in a couple of weeks, want to have
your input on. (Start mobilizing those votes for windows now.) Also, we will
not be offering items which are currently out of production, at least for some
time (I can't make any promises here.) And, once again, the target for
delivering this service to you is late summer. I'll have more details on bulk
buying, as I said, in two or three weeks.

Until then, keep playing well. And I promise not to be absent for so long a
time ever again.

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct
legodirect@lego.com

Thanks Brad,

We know you've been busy.

Glad things are looking bright for the future of LEGO Direct.

Now for some further digesting of what you have just said about Bulk Sales.

No availability of pieces that have been out of production for a long time (at
least not yet).  No surprise here.  Perhaps in the future.  But what about common
bricks in rare colors (blue, orange, teal, etc)?

And here's where the fun begins.... if we have input into what dozen "non-standard"
pieces in bulk we want as our first bulk items, I am interpreting "non-standard" as
meaning non-regular bricks.  If I had to come up with a list that pleased the most
people, it will be rather difficult (not as difficult as keeping my own biases out
of the equation).  But here's my vote for at least some of these:

1.  1x2x2 windows:  White, blue, yellow (are other colors available, besides red?).

2.  1x4x5 windows:  Yellow, green, black, blue, gray, white and red.
3.  Clear bricks:  1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4
4.  Tiles: 1x1, 1x2,  2x2 in white or gray.
5.  Round bricks:  2x2 in white.
6.  Train Doors & Windows.
7.  Sloped Brick:  Corner bricks (low sloped, regular sloped, steep sloped).
8.  Arches:  1x4x5 half arches in red or yellow, 1x4x1 arches in white or yellow,
1x12x3 in red or white.

If by chance, older classic windows ever become available, I'll vote for those as
well.  But right now I'll hold off on those.

Anyway, this is a start,

Gary Istok