 Dear LEGO / 1468
Re: Why Not...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:45:20 GMT

Kevin Loch wrote:

The easiest way to do it is to simply order an element, and receive
some arbitrary quantity (i.e. a "box" or "bag" full).  That quantity
might vary from part to part but would be consistent on a per part basis.
That would be by far the most efficient way to fill orders.

They could price the shipments per unit weight or per package size
("big box is x, small bag is y) or even element specific pricing
(an order of 2x4's cost x, and order of crocodials cost y).

Crocodials, like in Peter Pan?  ;-)

Allowing customers to order any specific quantity of parts would
drive the cost up significantly.  However, If 1 unit of 2x4's is a big box,
then you might order 1 box or 10 and that would be a trivial order to fill.

I would think that by the pound, with an understood margin of error, would be the
most efficient, since they use scales to verify set contents right now.