 Dear LEGO / 1441
  Home-made Light Bricks

Hi all, I would just like to pose a new idea. Current light bricks have lights, and different caps to provide different colors. What I am experimenting with now is the use of Light Emmiting Diodes(LEDs). LEDs will only light up if the current is (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Home-made Light Bricks

(...) You can actually buy a single LED which operates the way you described. It will be colorless when off, light up red one way and green the other, and if you supply AC (lighting both) it will appear yellow. --Ben (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Home-made Light Bricks

Tom Covo wrote in message ... (...) now (...) lights (...) The way the RCX controls power level, you would still need a resistor since it is pulse width controlled, not voltage controlled. This reminds me of the time in college we had to design our (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Home-made Light Bricks

Hi Tom, I started a thread about this subject on november 12 last year. I got a lot of useful responses from people who had experience with LEDs. Not only about the resistors to use (I figured that one out for myself), but also about mounting the (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Home-made Light Bricks

The big advantage of using LEDs is that you can control two lights from a single RCX output. As long as you don't want them to light at the same time. They also use less power than light bulbs. Now what we really need is a de-multiplexer, to drive (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Home-made Light Bricks

To prove this, stick a fan in front of a digital clock... watch through the fan blades as you turn it on and as it slows to a stop... the fan will act as a strobe light and you will see which segments actually are on at the same time... pretty neat (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)