 Database / Set Inventories / 1170
Re: Peeron.com crosses 1000 inventories posted!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:21:38 GMT

Hi,

Hakan Tandogan wrote:
        What I'm doing is getting the set list (only the set list, promise; i'm
not spidering the whole site ;-) ) every few days through an anonimyzing
proxy and run that through my own scripts to set up my "private peeron",
but my system  is nowhere as feature-rich as the original (for example,
I'm missing the wonderful custom pictures of peeron's). Due to work
overload, I haven't gotten to the point where I can automatically get
the newly added sets and build a look-alike of the real thing... So many
things to do, so few free hours per day...

That's why I started contributing to peeron as well, I want everything
in my collection inventoried.  Then I can just look on peeron and see
how many I have of piece X in a particular color.

        By the way, Dan: you once said you could provide the "raw" of the
inventories. Could you create an FTP account on your machines and dump
the raw data there? Like what you are doing with the master list of
bricks? That way, we could get the data to feed our engines, and you
could still block the script kiddies with their point-and-click spiders.

        If you provide access to the data, I would provide my set of scripts to
allow people to set up their local search engines (which would save you
still more bandwith).

Oh yes, that would be ideal.  I would love to have a raw dump of all the
inventories on my local machine and some sort of database script access
for doing queries.  Ideally you could flag and count which sets you
actually own in the db, so you could search sets you own, or search the
entire inventory.

Dan, is there some anonymous ftp server where you can put a big tarball
of all the inventories, so there wouldn't be a strain on your server?
It would be nice to have access to this from some free server, maybe
something like sourceforge.  Then if peeron ever goes down for any
reason, there is a backup somewhere else on the internet.  I would hate
to lose access to all the inventories some point in the future.

Kevin