 Database / Brictionary / 8
Re: part database issues I have had to deal with
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:58:45 GMT

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:27:43 GMT, "Robert Munafo" <munafo@gcctech.com>
wrote:

I have just posted my current parts list in the message:
http://www.lugnet.com/db/inv/?n=124

Very interesting!  I'll be reviewing that list when I get time.

- I needed unambiguous part ID numbers, but I suspected the LDraw numbers might
sometimes be inaccurate. Also, LDraw doesn't cover all parts. So, I prefix my
numbers with two letters indicating what type of ID it is, like "ld" for LDraw.
The only IDs without prefixes are the numbers I've actually read off parts
myself.

The LDraw numbers aren't "always right", but new part files go through a
serious review process before being published.  There is a lot of
discussion about this on ldraw.cad.dev.

Also, the number stamped on parts isn't always right.  This can happen in
several situations:

- Parts may be modified over time, without the number changing.  The 1x1
round brick has done this once or twice.
- Parts which are fused together have a different number than the component
parts.  So if you read the number off the horse or rubber boat, you won't
have the 'official' number.
- Part numbers change.  I got an Explorien set which had different numbers
stamped on different 4x4 radar dish.

Generally, 3-digit LDraw numbers are used when we don't have any idea what
the real number for a part should be.  Again, there's a lot more on this
topic on lugnet.cad.dev.

- The format allows for several part ID numbers per part. My scripts
cross-reference these and treat them as identical. Thus, I can assign my own
part ID number and then discover later that there is an LDraw number, and I
don't have to go back and change my inventories.

Good thinking.

Steve