 Database / Brictionary / 7
6  |  8
Subject:
part database issues I have had to deal with
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:27:43 GMT

I have just posted my current parts list in the message:
http://www.lugnet.com/db/inv/?n=124

It might be of interest to this discussion group because it illustrates how to
deal with several issues I had to overcome when I started dealing with parts
identification (which I was doing just for inventory purposes). For example:

- I needed unambiguous part ID numbers, but I suspected the LDraw numbers might
sometimes be inaccurate. Also, LDraw doesn't cover all parts. So, I prefix my
numbers with two letters indicating what type of ID it is, like "ld" for LDraw.
The only IDs without prefixes are the numbers I've actually read off parts
myself.

- The format allows for several part ID numbers per part. My scripts
cross-reference these and treat them as identical. Thus, I can assign my own
part ID number and then discover later that there is an LDraw number, and I
don't have to go back and change my inventories.

- tubes, wires, and other parts that have an arbitrary length are given special
ID numbers that include the length dimension (in metric) as part of the ID
number.

- The format allows for several names/descriptions per part. It's a big text
file designed to be fairly easy to read and search, and also fairly easy for my
scripts to process.

- parts can be listed in any order, and I arrange them by category. See the
message in db.inv for more about my ordering.

- An official name appearing in LEGO or Dacta literature gets its own special
field type, "official-name".

- Any other type of field can be added and the scripts don't care -- they just
ignore the fields. For example, some parts have notes and patent numbers.

It's not evident here, but I treat part names as equivalent if the words are
rearranged to eliminate commas. For example "brick, roof, 45-o, 2 x 2" is the
same as "2 x 2 45-o roof brick".

Here are some samples from the list:

:::: rectangular bricks ----------------------------------------------

3004
Official-Name: 1 x 2 Brick  [[pitsco1]]

3001
Name: 2 x 4 brick
Name: original basic brick

:::: system: wheel ---------------------------------------------------

3482
Official-Name: Hub  [[pitsco1]]
Name: wheel centre
Name: 17 x 7 wheel

:::: Technic connectors ----------------------------------------------

ld32034
Name: #2 angle brick 180-o
Patent: USD0387399

:::: Technic gears ---------------------------------------------------

3650
Name: 24t crown gear
Name: 24t crown gear II
Note: I consider both versions to be the same part because it doesn't make any
difference for building.

6585, mr0020
Name: type I gearbox
Patent: US5890943

:::: Technic pneumatics ----------------------------------------------

mr1.XXX
Name: XX.X-cm pneumatic tube

:::: Technic 9V electrics --------------------------------------------

mr4.XXX
Name: XXX-cm 9V connecting leads with two 2 x 2 x 2/3 connector bricks
Note: length includes the length of the 2 x 2 x 2/3 bricks at the ends
Note: The length XXX is in centimeters, unlike the other part names mr0.XXX,
mr1.XXX, etc which are in millimeters.

mr4.131
Official-Name: 9 Volt Long Connecting Lead  [[pitsco3]]
Name: XXX-cm 9V connecting leads with two 2 x 2 x 2/3 connector bricks
Note: This is listed separately just to show the pitsco-Dacta name.

- Robert Munafo