 Color / 901
Re: An alternative open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:51:19 GMT

In lugnet.color, René Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
In today's ever-changing toy industry we recognize that it is vital to the
future of our favorite toy company, LEGO, to make changes to its product line to
better retain and attract its core group of customers--children.  While some of
these changes, like the recent changes to the grey and brown brick colors, have
caused a great deal of controversy in the AFOL community, we realize that the
LEGO Company management must be trusted to make the decisions that are best for
its future.

Like changing "DUPLO" into "Explore" into "DUPLO"?

Was that changed back because of a letter to the CEO sent by a member of LUGNET?
I'm sorry I must have missed that one.

Yeah, changing DUPLO was a mistake, and they changed it back.  But that was the
kind of mistake that affects their core audience (people buying toys for
toddlers) negatively.  Changing greys doesn't do that.  If anything it makes the
toys more appealing to their core audience, assuming Jake is telling the truth
about the research they did (and why would he lie?).

we trust that you and the rest of the LEGO Company management understand
this industry better than we ever could

Mr. Plougman was from Bang&Olufsen, he wasn't successful, but fired.

Mr. Knudstorp is from McKinsey. Why should he know the "LEGO Business" better
than we do? Of course, I also would like to see him successful, and I'm wishing
him all the best for his work. But I can't see why he should be deeper in the
LEGO topic than we are?

Let the executives do their jobs.  They do research, make long-term plans that
we aren't privy to, and hire experts to give advice.  We're just hobbyists that
like to play with their end product.  We don't know anything about running a
multimillion dollar international toy company, and if you say otherwise you're
deluding yourself.