 Color / 952
Re: An alternative open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:22:51 GMT

Bill Ward wrote:

In lugnet.color, René Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
In today's ever-changing toy industry we recognize that it is vital to the
future of our favorite toy company, LEGO, to make changes to its product line to
better retain and attract its core group of customers--children.  While some of
these changes, like the recent changes to the grey and brown brick colors, have
caused a great deal of controversy in the AFOL community, we realize that the
LEGO Company management must be trusted to make the decisions that are best for
its future.

Like changing "DUPLO" into "Explore" into "DUPLO"?

Was that changed back because of a letter to the CEO sent by a member of LUGNET?
I'm sorry I must have missed that one.

Yeah, changing DUPLO was a mistake, and they changed it back.  But that was the
kind of mistake that affects their core audience (people buying toys for
toddlers) negatively.  Changing greys doesn't do that.  If anything it makes the
toys more appealing to their core audience, assuming Jake is telling the truth
about the research they did (and why would he lie?).

The tests they did simply could have been skewed by how the questions were asked.
Without seeing the actual test, we won't know if they happened to use leading questions
posed by the people for the color change, or hand-picked a strange group of kids that
liked the new colors.

You know, I have YET to hear any kids exclaiming how much brighter and/or better the
new greys/browns are.

If they were changed to make kids notice, make them buy more, and they haven't even
noticed, I call it a complete failure.

Again, I bring up what many others have brought up before - if this was meant to be a
beneficial change for the kiddies, explain to me why there has yet to be a single whit
of advertising the glorious new colors.

I am still waiting on the *real* reason for the change.  Not the excuses after the
eruption.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/