 Color / 1118
Re: Never noticed this before . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:55:53 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.color, David Simmons wrote:
Hey all,

Just recently while working on a project I've lined up LOTS of those black
arches from Star Wars #7201 Final Duel II and I noticed that there are
several shades of black!  Additionally, while rummaging through my drawer of
large original dark gray plates where I have stacked all the 8x8 plates with
grille together I noticed again that there were several different shades of
the same color.  I find it funny that I never really noticed this before.
It's even funnier (to me anyway) that the color change hullabaloo has made
many of us hyperaware of even the slightest differences in shades so that
we're now scrutinizing (and criticizing) our bricks even more than we were
before!

Just my thought for the day.

Dave

You can't believe the various shades of grey in my light grey tub--from the
original space sets to the technic pieces from a few years back--all different
shades of grey.
I do know that with age comes discolouration, especially if you leave your MOC
together, especially, again, out in the sun--some of my white bricks are
virtually indistinguishable from my tan.
Eh, many variables factor into the shading.

Dave K

Over the long term the colors most prone to yellowing (due to sunlight) are
blue, gray and white.  Of course with all the new Lego colors out, it will be
interesting to see which new colors also have this tendency (obviously those
that are different shades of the above mentioned colors are the most likely
candidates).

I have hundreds of old blue regular sloped bricks that have different levels of
discoloration (and since they are from the 60's thru 90's, different levels of
coarseness to the grainy sloped sides).  These make for a great castle or
mansion roofs, since most real roofs are not perfect to begin with.

Gary Istok