 Color / 1117
Re: Never noticed this before . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:08:30 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Simmons wrote:
Hey all,

Just recently while working on a project I've lined up LOTS of those black
arches from Star Wars #7201 Final Duel II and I noticed that there are
several shades of black!  Additionally, while rummaging through my drawer of
large original dark gray plates where I have stacked all the 8x8 plates with
grille together I noticed again that there were several different shades of
the same color.  I find it funny that I never really noticed this before.
It's even funnier (to me anyway) that the color change hullabaloo has made
many of us hyperaware of even the slightest differences in shades so that
we're now scrutinizing (and criticizing) our bricks even more than we were
before!

Just my thought for the day.

Dave

Tons of factors can change the color of parts--either pre-forming, during
forming, and post-forming of parts.

To make better use of product, there's the application of "regrind".  Regrind
are parts that didn't form fully, or sprues/trees from a mold. (There's ways to
eliminate sprues by using a "hot runner" setup, which is also more expensive).
Anyway, regrind may alter the color of the product slightly.  There is always a
transisitional period required when changing colors--it depends on how much
regrind, and what color regrind is being used (note--black pigments can be so
strong, they overpower lighter colors (I worked for a company that made
replacement window components via injection molding--we put any color regrind
with black pigments).

If you are changing from say.. red to blue (yeah, ok, bad idea, but need a
strong contrast here).  There's going to be a period where the existing red
pellets need to be worked out of the existing screw/barrel that turns the
plasticized "goop" into molds.  You're going to have a period where the color
will be close to blue, but may have that little bit of red in, changing the
shade a little.  During the change, you're going to see some marbilized red/blue
mixed bricks that do look cool, but really don't have a purpose.  This is common
in everything that uses injection molding, from LEGO bricks, right on up to
those big 5-gallon paint/wallboard compound buckets in Home Depot

What really gets me is when you see these "designer" items with weird and unique
patterns. Those items were made with injection molding machines, and apparently
some marketing genius figured out a way to market those parts made during the
transition period...

Scott