Re: Part Four of Siege of Valkayria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 22:19:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Wilson Raska writes:
The fourth part of this series explains what happened after Vincent took
control of Valkayria Castle:

http://www.sofast.net/~raska/siegestory4.html

Feedback is appreciated!

Wilson

Great!  I love the details and the realism of it all.  I also like the
bigger pictures - they give it a cinematic effect:)  Now for my questions:

I like how the bigger pictures look too.  I tried sizing them down, but they
didn't look right.  I try to make the most exiting parts of the story in
"widescreen" mode.

1)  How did you do the burning of the flag?  Photoshop?  Did you manually
draw the fire - it's effective.

Yes, I use Photoshop for all my picture editing.  The fire was really the
first thing that I've actually DRAWN in Photoshop, everything else has been
just manipulating photos.  The flag burning took a while, playing around
with different commands and effects.  I finally got it to look decent after
using such tools as:  Smudge command, for making the fire wavy; Airbrush,
for the smoke; Brush, for painting in the fire color; and the Rubber Stamp
tool (It's kinda hard to explain this tool.  If you want a longer
explanation, just ask me.)

2)  The last picture - did you also use photoshop for it?  Tell us more
about your touching up of the pictures ...

I used Photoshop for the last picture, too.  Since I've had my digital
camera, I've been looking for things that would make good backgrounds (sky
pictures, mountains, etc.)  For the last picture in Part 4, I first took a
picture of the castle on a white background.  In photoshop, I selected
everything that wasn't white and dragged it onto a picture of hills.  Before
I put the castle on the hills, I selected the hills and placed them on a
picture of a sunset.  I then put the castle on top of the background, made
some tweaks to it, and I was done.

Can't wait for more :)

Don't worry, I got plenty more where that came from!

Wilson