Re: Tales of Illswich
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:58:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi Greg,

First, let me echo the comments given here. Great customizing job, and
fabulous background stories! There's a lot to take in, and it's all good. :-)

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Joel Jacobsen writes:
Very cool custom painting! I wish I had the guts to try that, but for now, I
really don't.

Heh... that's what I always (used to!) say.
Personally, ATM, I cut-some-ize <grin> as little as possible, and only to
acheive certain effects that couldn't be acheived otherwise...

Well.. I, as you've put it, Cut-some-ize a few things here and there.. Hot
glue is a nifty thing, but not all that clean.. though the standard bow I
glued to one of the original space 'guns' still holds firm as a heavy crossbow
after...well..what..? 6-8 years since the molded crossbows were brought out? I
couldn't afford a set at the time and had to have one.

I've made two double bladed barbarian's axes out of the original style battle
axes. They still exist for my Elven forestmen. (barbaric elves? hmm..there's a
CW plotline!)

Most recently, after rewatching Tombstone and El Dorado for the zillionth
time, I decided I had to have a shotgun or three for my Wild West (I know I
know. this IS Castle.. I won't say anymore!) They turned out well and some day
will get put into a MOC of "That other theme I love so much!".

But your customs are great, the colorful shields and swords add to the
personality of your characters... I couldn't, wouldn't, dare to paint my
(currently) only European armor, though. :-)

I have only 1 (maybe 2)of the Euro armor pieces, myself. They're staying Au
Naturale! I've got an air brush... the idea of painting HAS crossed my
mind..but I can't drive the thing properly yet... the last thing I want is
Lego-Python's Flying Circus at the Round Table! :)

At least I can now count the weeks till my wife and I begin in
earnest on what will hopefully be our little slice of CW.

Great! Why wait, though?... start now! :-)

Well.. I've sorted my weapons and figs a bit... ;)

The main reason things have not progressed since I mailed Craig this spring is
the Dreaded Real Life(tm).
I'm presently in the middle of relocating my LEGO's from one room to another
so I can spread out without retribution from the Other Half. :) She's a Castle
Only AFOL, but prefers projects be put away when I finish for the night..
which means lost time setting things back out next time. I've finally staked a
corner out where things will be out of sight! bahaha! Freedom! :)

And - I've a project still built waiting on my parent's vacation arrival in 2
weeks. I told my dad and he wants to see it first hand before I disassemble[1]
it to use the plates and scenery for Castle again.

Your's and everyone else's works for CW have been very inspiring -- to the
point I'm almost not sure where to start when the time comes! Time will
tell. :)

I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve.
As for inspiration, I agree... I've learned something from basically every CW
member, and also from people who just hang around .castle and don't join...
(why not?!)... beginning with Craig and Pawel and going through everyone else
I've talked to, pretty much. (e.g. Wilson had some great photo effects that
I'm trying to learn from... Nathan (McDowell) showed me some fabulous fantasy
creations at the Brickfest... Dave E and Eric K's peasant house series...
Franklin Cain's and Tim Coats' animals and creatures... I could go on for a
loooong time)...

Well so far, there isn't a lot there.. I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt.
*buda-BOOM!*
Thank you..now for my next... oh nevermind.. I never did excel at humor.
But seriously, I have to say I've learned a lot just from looking at
everyone's creations as well.. And I think right now, other than making some
figs - I've already got the Bad Guy(tm) - I have just hit a builder's block
for ideas. After vacation with family I hope to sit down and reorganize things
and start fresh and get inspired.

Sadly, my most recent inspiration was for a Space fighter (ducks..please don't
hurt me!)

It's done and needs photographed and posted and then in a few weeks on to
Castle.

Really. I mean it. Probably. Unless something else inspires me.. oops.

Thanks for sharing your efforts - I'm sure the story will be just as cool if
not more so.

Again, I can't wait! <smile>... I'm so impatient... ;-)

JJ
"Still on the outside of CW and looking in"

Two things to that:
a. why not coming inside and looking around? So much more fun! :-)
b. careful with the "JJ", we've got Jeff Johnston here too... but he calls
himself "J" ;-)

-Shiri

I'm working on it! Honest! *looks really sincere!*

Old habits die hard; it's what I was called at my previous job due to how we
signed into the system.

Joel "Shiri talked to me!! I'm Somebody!!" Jacobsen

[1] #5 is alive! NO Disassemble! (sorry. Had to.) If you care to take a peek
at my present meager offerings, my page is:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jacobsen/index.htm