Re: Tales of Illswich
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 05:02:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi Greg,

First, let me echo the comments given here. Great customizing job, and
fabulous background stories! There's a lot to take in, and it's all good. :-)

Ok, I am so in now! I have approval from Shiri, there is no stopping me Hah ha
ha ha ha! Ooh, um, sorry. Somehow my evil twin got online, but he has been sent
back to his cave.
Seriously though, I'm glad my ideas are being well recieved.

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Joel Jacobsen writes:
Very cool custom painting! I wish I had the guts to try that, but for now, I
really don't.

Heh... that's what I always (used to!) say.
Personally, ATM, I cut-some-ize <grin> as little as possible, and only to
acheive certain effects that couldn't be acheived otherwise...

But your customs are great, the colorful shields and swords add to the
personality of your characters... I couldn't, wouldn't, dare to paint my
(currently) only European armor, though. :-)

Joel, I hope you don't mind me using Shiri's post for my comments here. (she
did it to me! ;-})
The modifications are something I have been doing for years. I started by
making berets out of space helmets for my elite space troopers. (this was
during classic space, when the helmets were thin)
I naturally transferred this to castle. It started with swords, Many of my
swords are fashioned after real historical swords. [example; Edward Norman is
holding a Norman battle sword]
Painting came along when I decided that I had to have a green knight for the
forestmen to fight with. I bought a lot of Black Knights [6009] for this.
Modifying other stuff just came after that. The sheths that many of the
characters carry their swords in was a logical evolution from when I made
holsters for my GI Joe guns about 20 years ago. (you see how this spins wildly
out of control!)
Castle is the only series that I worry about modifying, I feel that it just
works the best.

At least I can now count the weeks till my wife and I begin in
earnest on what will hopefully be our little slice of CW.

Agreed, don't let us stop you. The space people will probably look down on me
for this next comment: I think castle is the easiest and most fun theme in Lego
to create stories for. You can do anything, and have a blast doing it!

Your's and everyone else's works for CW have been very inspiring -- to the
point I'm almost not sure where to start when the time comes! Time will
tell. :)

I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve.
As for inspiration, I agree... I've learned something from basically every CW
member, and also from people who just hang around .castle and don't join...
(why not?!)... beginning with Craig and Pawel and going through everyone else
I've talked to, pretty much. (e.g. Wilson had some great photo effects that
I'm trying to learn from... Nathan (McDowell) showed me some fabulous fantasy
creations at the Brickfest... Dave E and Eric K's peasant house series...
Franklin Cain's and Tim Coats' animals and creatures... I could go on for a

As for CW, if it weren't for Castle World, and all the great stuff that all
it's members have created, I would still be looking at my modified Minifigs
wondering what they are good for. CW has given me an outlet, and my creativity
and building has grown and flowered from it's influence.

Thanks for sharing your efforts - I'm sure the story will be just as cool if
not more so.

Again, I can't wait! <smile>... I'm so impatient... ;-)

Oh, I haven't even BEGUN to get wacky. My first sceen will be up next week,
guaranteed. I just got some stuff to finish it today. If the GMLUG meeting on
Sunday doesn't burn me out too much, I hope to have episode 2 up also. We will
see.

Again Thank you all for the kind comments.

Greg

http://khamsin.homestead.com/home.html