Re: IOM: Question about story/model combination
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jason Maxwell writes:
I was just wondering what the general opinion of stories without model
pictures was?  I'm finding myself coming up with great story ideas, but not
having the time (due to my job right now) to build the models to go with
them.  As it is I'm 4 days behind my story in RT, and I only see myself
falling further behind.  I've considered posting more of Jais' journal
entires and creating the models at a later time, but I wanted to know if a
story without models would interest anyone.

Personally, since we are all lego-centered, while stories might be fun to
read, I am personally interested in legos more so than anything.  That's
why I hang out here ;)

I have to agree here- I'm not that likely to read a story *about* someone's
Lego characters if I'm not actually looking at Lego.  I've been wading
through Anthony Sava's epic tale over the past week, and I will admit that I
skipped the first few sections that didn't have images.  ("Wading" may not
be the kindest term, but it is a *long* story and Geocities makes it very
painful to get through.)  However, the story is so compelling that I found
myself reading everything after a little while.  But would I have read any
of it if most of the pages didn't have such wonderful pictures?  Probably
not- I never would have immersed myself in the story to begin with.  Now I
have to go back and read the sections I skipped...

On the other hand, think about why you are here.  Are you here purely for
yourself?  Are you here purely to entertain others?  If you do what you want
to do and do it well, you'll please yourself.  As someone pointed out to me
recently, that's the most important part.

As far as RT - I would say to not worry about it too much.  While it's cool
to see who is doing what, seeing models and pictures is the real treat for
me.  Even one picture does wonders (1).

Agreed.  I've been trying to keep up with real time, and it's really harsh.
I'd much rather see well-thought-out stories, well-built models, and
well-shot images that come in slowly than see something cranked out just
because the author is trying to keep up with a crazy schedule.

(1)  One example that comes to mind with plenty of story and well done
pictures is Tony Hafner's site.  The few pics, really help me follow his story:

http://www.hafhead.com/lego/mycastle/iom/index.html

Wow- I was responding to the first part of this message and then was
startled to see myself mentioned in the second half.  Thanks a lot!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com