Re: Blank Shields IoM update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:31:25 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, James Brown writes:
Ya, that's kinda what I'm going for right now; I'm just wondering if people
think a third-person style of narrative would be OK for a more substantial
story.  More like my "history" chapters(1), although much more real-time
than they are, and with pictures. :)

Oh, it'd definitely be fine to use third person for a narrative. As an
outsider, you can still make a great interesting story and develop
characters.... techniques could be, for example, telling people's thoughts
(if you're an omnipotent 3rd person). As the narrator you can take a stand
of your own on occasion, like C.S. Lewis does in Narnia and Erich Kestner
does in almost all his books, or stay neutral. Another good way to devop
characters is to describe their expressions in great detail. Plus, third
person can still be for a particular person's *point of view* - for example,
Ursula K. LeGuinn's "Wizard of Earthsea" was from Sparrowhawk's POV, while
"The tombs of Atuan" started up from Arha's POV and ended up as a mixture of
her and his thoughts. Etcetera... so third person is a very good way to
write if you consider it, really. You're not confined to one person's
thoughts. It all depends on how you like it!

-Shiri