Re: Apology and Admin issues.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 06:58:27 GMT

Nathan and all, hi.

Chris, Pawel and I were talking here at Jeff's house and were thinking a
lot. Here's what we were bringing up.

Nathan has, in reality, put the most work into Castle World than any of us.
Pawel was the administrator for the first four months or so, (then there was
a gap for awhile when Pawel was gone and no one was admin), I was only the
admin for a month or so, then Chris was admin for almost three months. Each
one of us sorta put CW on the back burner when we got tired of writing code
and stuff (which is, I'll assure you, not fun in this case). Nathan here,
though, has been *so* dedicated and even when he was offered help or someone
to rotate the job with him, said it was fine and held at it. Sure, Pawel and
Craig came up with the idea, we all ran with it, but Nathan's dedication has
been holding up the fort.

Now, totally on the other hand here, we've got the "rules" of CW. Pawel says
that when Craig and he were thinking up the who-what-where, Pawel himself
was suggesting "no rules". But Craig insisted on having some - a few limits
to preserve our little (but steadily growing - now an amazing membership of
50!) community. And the "rules" Craig proposed were simple, useful, and most
importantly, easy to follow. They are simply the three C's: Creativity,
Cooperation and Courtesy.

We've all followed these guidlines from day one. They all *make sense*. We
are an organic community; we don't need orthogonal rules, we don't have to
work with 90 degrees (right, Rich S.?). Here's a quick explanation:

Creativity - naturally, as amazingly bright and creative creatures, we want
things to appeal to the eye and to the mind. We want the best you have to
offer, and we want to take out the best in others.
(In hebrew there's a saying: "In art as in art, there's no such thing as
there's no such thing". IOW, in art everything's possible.)
Cooperation - as a community that was intended to bring people together and
stimulate one another, we want to be able to give and take, work together,
compromise a bit and reach a happy medium.
(Would Mark McGuire have broken Roger Maris' record without Sammy Sosa?)
Courtesy - in order to kep our community friendly and welcoming to *all*, we
chose to remain within the limits of common courtesy. People take in
comments better when they are courteous, whether they are just "wow!"s or
actual constructive suggestions.
(Keep your hands on the table, keep your elbows off the table. (Give me a
break, it's 3 AM.))

This leads us to what happened here. Bryan's reply to Kevin was not his
first unpleasant response. Previously he had been a bit rude here and there,
mostly tolerable but not really what I would call polite. This current post
broke a record though.

Still, it is *not* for me, Pawel or Chris to decide what CW will do; that is
up to CW. We can only suggest and recommend, and have everyone else agree or
disagree. CW is not elitist, we're not trying to exclude *anyone*. Whoever
plays by the rules is very welcome.

We suggest that if and when Bryan proves he can adhere to our rules, he will
be welcome to rejoin.

Anyone who feels otherwise is certainly welcome to voice their opinion.
Hopefully we will have a unanimous decision one way or another. Lenny is
right on when he says we should all just play well!

-Shiri (and Pawel and Chris and Jeff)

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Nathan McDowell writes:
To all,
I'd like to apologize for hastily coming to a decision to remove Bryan
from the membership without bringing it up before everyone.  I did contact a
few members and asked their opinion before doing what I did but I should
have brought it up for a vote from the entire membership.  I would like to
say I acted hastily because I was in a bad mood and I did it without
thinking, but that's not really the case.  As webmaster of the Castle World
site for almost a year, I kind of felt responsible for the membership- I've
poured a lot of time and effort into the site and I kind of assumed I was in
an administration position, mostly because I didn't hear otherwise, really.
If a member wasn't showing themselves to be "part of the team" and being
excessively negative, I felt that reflected on the rest of the group and
myself.  I didn't want people to judge CW by one member's actions.  Maybe I
was being too overprotective of the group.

The whole administration thing is kind of fuzzy, we don't really know
where the boundaries are.  I really honestly don't know if what I did was
wrong (in removing someone from the membership) or if I did something beyond
what was trusted to me and is out of my jurisdiction (if I have any, I
really don't know).  Yeah, unstructured orgs are great, but like Larry said,
there's always something that comes up where people wonder "ok, now what do
we do?".  The rules aren't even written down anywhere that even I know of,
but they're just common sense rules that everyone should know-

1.  Don't steal artwork, photographs, names, concepts, and the like.
2.  If you want to use someone else's characters, names, and what have you,
you have to contact the person who created them and get their permission.
3.  Play nice and respect others.

Other than that, you're on your own, until other rules, if any, are
brought up before the membership and adopted.  Maybe that's something we can
discuss at brickfest with the CW group present if I can actually GET there
(long story).

Anyways, please let me know what you think about the whole administration
issue.  I really would like to find out where people stand.  I don't recall
if this has ever come up before.  Also, should Bryan be reinstated as a
member?  If that's what the majority of the membership wants, I'll comply.

~Nathan
www.castle-world.org