 Castle / Ninja / 234
Re: Japanese Sashimono (battle flags) + Ninja Chess Upgrade
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:14:17 GMT

Sekigahara in Lego! That is my ultimate ambition, but at this rate I
wont be able to do it till the 500th aniversary of the ballte (99 years
from now).

If you liked Bryant's Sekigara book, pick up the other Osprey titles by
him and by Turnbull or pretty much anything by Turnbull.

Chris Barker
chris@superfami.com

Kung-Khoon Quah wrote:

After getting some really nice reference books with "kamon" (clan symbols),
some scanning and fiddling with Avery labels, I was able to produce my
own "sashimono" which are battle flags worn by ashigaru (common soldiers) on
their backs and horsemen during battles.
The link to my webpage is  http://web.tampabay.rr.com/kkqwebpage

Chess_sekigahara - my ninja chess set will now be upgraded to include the
   two sides of the Battle of Sekigahara, Tokugawa (blue ) and Ishida (red)
   and will now be called my Sekigahara Chess Set.
Ikeda_troops and Toku_troops - pics of some horsemen with sashimono on
   side saddle holders.  Note Terumasa Ikeda was the son-in-law of Ieyasu
   Tokugawa and was present at the Battle of Sekigaha.  Ikeda later built
   Himeji castle.
Sashimono - here I have 3 of them in detail.  The flags are two-sided and
   have the same feel as the Lego flags but they are thicker.
   The flags from top to bottom are for:
   Ikeda - crossed fans, some books show Ikeda mon as a butterfly.
   Tokugawa - mon of aoi (hollyhock leaves) in a circle
   Ishida - kanji character
Note most of the sashimono were in black and white because this offered the
most contrast but some were in color.  Also, this is different from the
"uma jirushi", which was the personal battle standard which is used only by
the general or commander to indicate his location.

The reference book which is a detailed discussion of the Battle of Sekigahara
is called Sekigahara 1600 - the final struggle for power by Anthony Bryant
and is part of the Osprey Military Campaign Series #40.  Nice pictures,
excellent 3-D maps and great narrative.  Highly recommended.  The book
contains 24 pictures of "mon" in detailed black/white.

One idea I am toying with is to re-enact the entire Battle of Sekigahara with
Lego Ninja minifigs and of course all the sashimono mon ... but I am counting
my minifigs to see if I can do it.  What do you think ?  LMK.
Of course, it will be microfig scale.

KK Quah