 Castle / Ninja / 228
Re: Japanese Sashimono (battle flags) + Ninja Chess Upgrade
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 02:11:17 GMT

--- Kung-Khoon Quah <kquah1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
After getting some really nice reference books with
"kamon" (clan symbols),
some scanning and fiddling with Avery labels, I was able
to produce my
own "sashimono" which are battle flags worn by ashigaru
(common soldiers) on
their backs and horsemen during battles.
The link to my webpage is
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/kkqwebpage

Chess_sekigahara - my ninja chess set will now be
upgraded to include the
   two sides of the Battle of Sekigahara, Tokugawa (blue
) and Ishida (red)
   and will now be called my Sekigahara Chess Set.
Ikeda_troops and Toku_troops - pics of some horsemen with
sashimono on
   side saddle holders.  Note Terumasa Ikeda was the
son-in-law of Ieyasu
   Tokugawa and was present at the Battle of Sekigaha.
Ikeda later built
   Himeji castle.
Sashimono - here I have 3 of them in detail.  The flags
are two-sided and
   have the same feel as the Lego flags but they are
thicker.
   The flags from top to bottom are for:
   Ikeda - crossed fans, some books show Ikeda mon as a
butterfly.
   Tokugawa - mon of aoi (hollyhock leaves) in a circle
   Ishida - kanji character
Note most of the sashimono were in black and white
because this offered the
most contrast but some were in color.  Also, this is
different from the
"uma jirushi", which was the personal battle standard
which is used only by
the general or commander to indicate his location.

The reference book which is a detailed discussion of the
Battle of Sekigahara
is called Sekigahara 1600 - the final struggle for power
by Anthony Bryant
and is part of the Osprey Military Campaign Series #40.
Nice pictures,
excellent 3-D maps and great narrative.  Highly
recommended.  The book
contains 24 pictures of "mon" in detailed black/white.

One idea I am toying with is to re-enact the entire
Battle of Sekigahara with
Lego Ninja minifigs and of course all the sashimono mon
... but I am counting
my minifigs to see if I can do it.  What do you think ?
LMK.
Of course, it will be microfig scale.

KK Quah

Here is my sugestion.  Do the battle in super microfig
scale, using 1x2, 1x4, 1x6 tiles or plates to represent
each side.  The book should have pictures of the terrain so
model that out on a couple of baseplates. We called them
sandboxes in the Army.  Then use flags to number important
sites on the battlefield, then have the number correspond
to a blown up diorama.  Number one might be Tokugawa's HQ

complete with runners, flag bearers, guards etc.  Number  2
may be a pivatol point in the battle.  Number 3 could be
Ishida's HQ and so on.  I bet you could get six to eight
scenes.  I hope i conveyed what I am talking about

Joel