 Castle / Ninja / 125
Re: Thoughts on "nobowari"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:02:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Chris Barker writes:
Hey all,

I guess this is really sort of a classic building problem, but I figured
I'd ask here and get y'all's opinions.

I'm always good for a few opinions = )

I'm going to re-do my gatehouse
and have sketched out some plans, but would like to get a bit more
detailed in the plans to consider the parts I actually have.  I have the
baseplates figured, but I'm trying to lay out plans for walls and
fences.  Do you genererally just use same size pieces, sketch things out
on graph paper or use something like ldraw/whatever?

I don't have the Ldraw or MLCad option...someday I will and I will try it
then.  I have attempted sketches but I am not an artist.  I found sketches
worked well when I was trying to burn an image into my mind.

I use a variety of methods:

1.  Modifying sets:
We all know the shortcomings of many Lego sets and the limitations of the
brick medium.  However, I find that many sets need just a little more
substance and some redesign to realize a good-great model.  For example,
3053 has a very pleasing fascade with a good color scheme, interesting
details and authentic architecture.  I derived alot of inspiration from
"completing" this model.  I experimented with a few copies of this set plus
extra elements from 5988s and eBay lots.  I enjoyed adding extra floors,
extending the walls, and designing defenses.  I was continually frustrated
when I ran out of tan bricks, dark gray, and especially Blue slopes.
However, the wheels kept turning in my little head leading to several minor
epiphanies.  My whole entre' into Ninja theme "fanaticism" derives from my
original plan to "just make a bigger, better", and more completely realized
6093 FNF.  Eventually, evolution, boredom, madness or inspiration leaves you
with a pile of bricks or an MOC that looks nothing like its ancestors.

2.  Media Emersion and Research:
Sometimes I pop a tape in the VCR with inspirational source material.
Discovery, A&E, and PBS had some great China and Japan specials last year.
I pull out some parts+sets here and there and experiment while watching
"Samurai Banners" or the Lone Wolf+Cub movies.  I remember spending hours
pouring over the Himenji and Kumomoto pics that KK found on-line.  (Those
were helpful in finishing my first generation gatehouse.)  I remember being
inspired to try some interior designs after reading Shogun.  Although many
of these sources are popular culture references and have dubious historical
value, I find the landscapes and sets fascinating. I also supplement some
projects with trips to the Lbrary.

3.  Sketches
I do this rarely now.  Occasionally I would make drawing for space fighters
or submarines.  I found drawings helpful when I was trying to make my
Chinese junk...It seems many people develop truly great designs from
drawings, but it's not how I am wired.

4.  Big'ole'pile:
Arguably the messiest and most inefficient means of producing MOCs short of
throwing your collection off a building.  However, as my collection grows, I
sometimes forget I have certain elements and the act of unpacking a couple
bins leads me in new directions.  I sat down one night to make a sea plane
which soon became a speed boat and ended up being a 2 foot long futuristic
yacht.  I have had similar experiences with small Ninja creations.

5.  The Big Picture...
I take a pad of paper and list all of the special features I want to include
in a structure.  I ponder the height, depth, detail and scale.  It is
helpful for me to know the purpose and capacity of the structure.  Then I
pull out my box'o'baseplates and start figuring out distances, scale, etc.
I also keep a 3053 or similar Ninja structure assembled and nearby for
reference.  I try to keep in mind a loose inventory of how many figs, walls,
doors, + log elements I have to complete/start the project  (The funny thing
is that I am continually planning something larger than I have parts to build)

6.  Fun with figures:
I like to create new Samurai or Asian character designs. I find that the
very act of creating a new figure, clan, or faction often necessitates
creating accessories or a suitable environment for them =8^)

Okay...I have said way too much...

                     John