 Castle / 9945
Re: The extra horse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:33:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey writes:
Have you considered that maybe the hole on the head is a safety feature to
stop little children swallowing them and choking?

  I don't refute this, since I certainly don't want a horde of kids to meet
their demise via LEGO, but is the teeny-tiny hole in the top really a large
enough aperture to allow sufficient air to pass through?  And how likely is
it that the poor kid's going to swallow the head in an up-and-down
orientation?  Couldn't the child swallow a "crystal ball" brick or some
similar, non-ventilated shape just as easily?  The two more feasible
answers, for me, are the ease of head removal (by eliminating the vacuum
between head and body) and the reduction of materials cost in manufacturing
(miniscule individually, but considerable in the aggregate).
  Rokenbok uses a number of grille-style balls in its constructs, and one of
the designers tested it on himself--tying the ball to a length of fishing
line and attempting to block his own airway with it.  He found that he could
still breathe despite the obstruction.  I don't see how a LEGO minifig head
could likewise permit sufficient air passage to sustain life.

     Dave!

FUT Where?  I don't know which would be the most appropriate group...