 Castle / 8949
Re: battle rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 14:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Aldrich writes:
James Brown wrote:

If you want really super-detailed/accurate/whatever, go to one of a number
of tabletop war game engines, and just use Lego instead of miniatures (or
whatever they use.)  Warhammer is good for this, since the default scale is
very close.

And not so detailed, but fun if you can find it, is the long out-of-print
Chainmail by Gary Gygax and Jeff Perren, published by Guidon Games.

And the forerunner to D&D.  I played my first medieval miniatures game with
these - I still have a rather pristine copy floating about somewhere in my
game pantry.

De Bellis Antiquitatis plays pretty fast if somewhat limited in scope and
the most you'll need for an army is 48 figures.  The more ambitious version
of what was supposed to be a "simple" system, De Bellis Multidudinis, is
unfortunately written in impossible Phil Barkerese (an argument that
Americans speak English, not the English, though I rather imagine the
English disavow him).  There's a specific fantasy version (Hordes of Things)
but I haven't looked at it.  These are all full army rules, rather than
skirmish-style rules like Brickwars.

Bruce