 Castle / 8169
Re: The cold, hard reality of Lego Renaissance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mike Timm writes:
2) LEGO is still not cheap.

I'd say it is still not inexpensive, it is not and never has been
'cheap'..  With some things you pay for the quality.

This twigged my memory, and reminded me of something I wanted to post, but
never got around to.  I had a very interesting conversation with a mom at a
train show recently.  She had been asking about the track & how much the
costs were, and I mentioned that it was about $10 US for 8 sections, so a
bit on the expensive side, but most Lego was.  She looked at me a bit oddly
(maybe she just expected someone with so much Lego to "know" this) and said:

"Lego isn't expensive."

"The $50 robot dog that my son plays with for a week, and ignores - that's
expensive.  Video games are expensive.  Toys with play value, that my kids
keep using?  They're as cheap as dirt!"

It made me feel better about my spending habits, and re-evaluate how much my
collections costs compared to what I get out of it - and she's right.  It's
not expensive.

James