 Castle / 8168
Re: The cold, hard reality of Lego Renaissance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:55:17 GMT

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:54:53 GMT, Mike Rosulek
<mjr@powersurge.net.nospam> wrote:

Welcome to .castle

I now have a new appreciation for the volume of bricks you guys/gals all
have. Not that I didn't have appreciation before, but now I have a new
one. Throughout my whole childhood, I'd always prided myself in having
"a ton of legos." I have never met anyone in real life with more. I can
easily come to grips with the fact that I didn't have enough to build a
big castle the size of most I've seen around here, and that compared to
most of you my collection is laughable. That's understandable.

Very recently I decided to start playing with my legos again. More
specifically, the Castle stuff because we all know Castle is by far the
coolest. I'd been lingering around here a bit, checking out auctions,
etc.. but today, I spent a while working on a few ideas I had floating
around for my "dream castle." It was upsetting to realize that I didn't
really have enough grey bricks to complete just the *gatehouse* of my
main castle wall. Yikes. This I have a little more trouble coping with.
I may have to rethink this whole getting-back-into-LEGO thing.

I find a few things running through my mind concerning this:
1) I have to buy my own bricks this time around. I can NOT put "10,000
assorted grey legos" on my Christmas list for Grandma anymore.

Hmm, have you checked out the  Lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands group?
(think Battleship and Aircraft Carrier).
/me keeps a wary eye out for incoming flames :^)

2) LEGO is still not cheap.

I'd say it is still not inexpensive, it is not and never has been
'cheap'..  With some things you pay for the quality.

3) I'm not what most people would call "in the money"

You are NOT alone in this :^)

4) Why the hell did I get so into Technic for the last 10 years of my
LEGO upbringing when Castle is where it's really at?

It interested you, most people have their interests change over time,
nothing wrong with that.

My conclusions:
1) I can try microfig castles for a while...

Sure.

2) I could build a decent-sized black, red, and yellow Technic castle
;) ... blech!

Think outside the box, err brick?

Anyway, just a few rants. But it's true that I have a LOT more
appreciation and respect for the scale of everyone's castles around
here. I guess you must make this a pretty serious hobby, eh? ;)

You guys/gals rock! Thanks for listening ;)

Mike "send me all your grey bricks" Rosulek

Not a chance :^)
Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)