 Castle / 8107
Re: [ot] Map Making Software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 04:08:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Paul Sinasohn writes:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
This is a bit off-topic, but on the other hand, it's right on, so here it • goes:

I need a map making software for the Mac to mess around with ... what is
people's experience with such things?  Should I use illustrator, or is there
anything prefered?

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Pawel

Do you mean a full-fledged GIS / business mapping package or just something to
draw maps to your house for a party?

There are several mapping packages for Macintosh (ESRI and MapInfo both have
packages) but they can be pricey..... There is also a mapping add-on to Excel,
but I don't know if it is available for Mac Excel.

I worked at MapInfo for several years....

Was that the Mac map software outfit in Clearwater FL ? I interviewed there
once, but ended up across the bay working for another company.

The Mac version hasn't been made for a few years. The Microsoft Map
developed by MapInfo was never made for Mac. MapInfo at version 3 (last
version I have for Mac) could import (not edit or compute on) raster images
but the rest was vector. I recently used this to plot telecom networks over
raster maps.

There were a number of raster based mapping programs, which didn't address
the same markets. These might be more appropriate...

Anyway, I would probably suggest going with Illustrator if your primary goal
really is illustration!  Unless you require accurate, numeric registration,
a GIS is probably going to leave you wanting for more graphical effects like
gradients.

I've used DenebaCad with some success. I have a very large DenebaCad document
covering the four counties where I live. I use it to measure distances between
towers, paths, etc. Unfortunately, DenebaCad not being designed for GIS, gives
all the distances in feet or meters (rather than miles or kM).

Ray
fut .offtopic.geek