 Castle / 8071
Re: Medieval Castles - History?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:18:39 GMT

I don't want to cry in my bier here, but I don't see Lego creating a harry
potter series that isn't juniorised.  If Juniorisation is meant to please
young children, YOung children seem to be the target audience for harry
potter.  I believe that we have seen the last of castle lego as we know it.
As a matter of history, the last few years of a series (wild west, pirate,
ninja, for example) usually have great minifigs and poor set designs.  No
one purchases them, and then they are cancelled due to "poor sales" (talk
about a self fulfilling prophecy).  Don't purchase King Leo's breezeway
(There's so much open space that any enemy could stroll right through it)
unless you see it for around $50 bucks (I think that we'll probably never
see it for cheaper).  I was severely disappointed in it, the first Lego
Castle I've ever felt was a waste of my hard earned cash.  Even the night
Lords castle could be made into something else useful.  There are so many
post pieces and tower sections it's pitiful.  Even the Gate is a one piece
section. The Blue tower tops, the stained glass piece, the Black Pointy
maiden hat, Brown falcon, and the drawbrige plate (brown and big) are the
only real positive points to this set.  Save your money and buy a bunch of
the guarded treasuries, you'll get windows and a few bricks.
I think that by offering us grey pieces and the expander pack from shop at
home they are saying, build it yourself.
Jon
And yes, a service pack would be great (although the defense archer and axe
cart serve the purpose pretty well)  You get shields, bows flags, spears
axes and helmets for pretty cheap in a buy one get on %50 off sale.

In lugnet.castle, Kevin Knoot writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
No new Castle releases.  Oh, a few hard to find special sets, but no real
follow-up to Knight's Kingdom.  Of course, Lego plays its cards close to the
gravy stains and new releases may be around the corner, but with the Harry
Potter liscense, it seems doubtful that they would come out with two large
castles necessary for both.  And though it has a castle and magic, Harry
Potter is definitely not medieval.  No seige weapons, no knights, no cavalry.

So, the question: is Castle history?  And would you buy it anyway
considering the increasing "juniorization"?  I have yet to purchase the 6091
King Leo's Castle - mostly just acquiring the minifigs.  Maybe if I see it
down around $25-$30, but that would be it.  Will prices rise for old stuff
dramatically?

Bruce

Looks like it to me.  I just wish they would have given us a new accessory
set before ending it!  I notice LOM got an accessory set. (enter sour grapes
comment here)  The figs were great, the structures not so, hopefully HP will
have some nice buildings to go along with all the wizard stuff, and maybe,
just maybe, castle will be back bigger and better before too long.

Kevin