 Castle / 7207
7206  |  7208
Subject:
Lord of the Rings buildings (was: ULTIMATE CASTLE RANGE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:02:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
In lugnet.castle, Luke Hutchinson writes:
Personally i think Lego should do a king Arthur range. For this not only a
castle but village sets, so that you could put together an ideal Camelot.
Also, a set containing each of his knights, each one with their own emblem
on the shield, tunic and flag, - just imagine! A set of Merlin's tor,
complete with all manner of creatures, dragons, dwarfs, trolls etc.

... if Lego announces that they were licensed to carry Lord of the Rings
sets, I will be flying high :)  Although ... were there really many buildings in the Trilogy, or was it mostly characters?  Either way - I wouldn't complain.

It seems that Lego has gone off buildings, no town, no space bases, only one
(half completed) castle. I know they've always done  building fronts, but
lately we've not even got those. Bring back buildings Lego!

In any case, here's a list of LotR buildings of note.

The action starts at Bag End, Bilbo's hobbit hole (round windows!). The next
places of note are Tom Bombadil's house and a wight barrow (lots of grey
stone). The Prancing Pony  inn at Bree would be fantastic (more round
windows, lots of wood pannelling). Rivendell, Imadrils (or the last homely
house from the Hobbit) might be a bit expansive though I'm sure a council
chamber or something would be a good way to include lots of named rare figs.
Moria gate, the tomb of Balin and the bridge with Ai! Balrog! would have to
be included. Something from Lothlorien (even if just Galadriel's mirror or a
swan boat) and Amon Hen / Amon Law. I'd hold my breath to see the Argonauth
in Lego but that'd be stretching things. Treebeard's house, Orthanc,
Helmholt and Meduseld are all fantastic inspirations for castles. Minas
Tirth, Minas Morgul and Barad Dur round out the list but these last three
are all so big we'd never see more than a little playset kind of thing.

However I agree with Pawel, it's the characters and event's that drive LotR,
the places, although wonderfully detailed and inspirational in their own
right, wouldn't translate well into commercially available Lego. I'd love to
see (even make) some of the places mentioned above, maybe when I win the
Lotto and buy several million bricks...

James (who can't wait to see the movie)

Apologies to JRRTolkien for spelling mistakes regarding names of people and
places I don't have my copy of LotR in front of me, I really must get it back...