 Castle / 6448
Re: Theme Buckets (was Re: Bulk Direct)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:23:40 GMT

Roy Wood wrote:

In article <G2L63B.3xz@lugnet.com> of group lugnet.castle, "Timothy D.
Freshly" writes:

Yikes!  I had not realized that the Pod bucket was only 291 pieces (I • have
no interest in Pod racers so I have never looked closely at that • bucket).
Of course, the more specialty pieces (arches, castle walls, minifigs) • in a
bucket, the higher the cost per piece will be.  Even so, the concept • of a
castle bucket remains intriguing.

I'm not convinced that the cost need be higher just because of specialty
pieces.  I think the cost of producing a specialty piece in large
quantities is probably about the same as a simple 2x4 brick in large
quantities.  Producing limited amounts of specialty pieces, however,
would mean the overhead (setup time/labour for molding machines,
handling of stock, etc.) would be spread out over fewer pieces, which
would drive up the cost per piece.

Economy of scale certainly is something which affects the price of
specialty pieces, but I bet they do cost somewhat more to make (the
extra cost of plastic should be relatively small, but the mold makes
fewer parts, and probably costs more to make, the molds for basic bricks
may even be able to be semi-mass produced).

Printing also adds cost to a part.

Also-- I wonder if Lego had to pay a per-unit royalty fee to George
Lucas for every Star Wars item produced.  If so, then a castle bucket
might reasonably be priced lower than a comparable Pod Racer bucket.

Probably some, but it can't be too much or the Star Wars sets would have
been a bit more expensive (remember, part of what makes them a good deal
is that they maintain the 10 cents a piece pricepoint, or something
close to it as opposed to the 20 cents a piece for a town junior set).

And I suspect that Lego has a great deal of latitude in the final
pricing of sets.  I'm sure the actual cost of the raw parts is a very
small part of the final total price, which includes sorting of raw
parts, inner packaging, instruction booklets, outer packaging, shipping,
etc., etc.  Yet another reason that being able to buy a box of 5,000 1xN
light grey bricks from Lego would be good for everyone involved.  :-)

There definitely are a lot of costs. Also, profit margin has an effect.
I suspect that the basic brick tubs and buckets (which cost out at under
2 cents a brick) have a very slim profit margin. The Freestyle type tubs
and buckets (which tend to cost 2-3 cents a brick) probably have a
slightly higher margin. I'm guessing that they're forced into the lower
margins by Mega Bloks.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com