 Castle / 6400
Re: Theme Buckets (was Re: Bulk Direct)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:28:07 GMT

In article <G2L63B.3xz@lugnet.com> of group lugnet.castle, "Timothy D.
Freshly" writes:

Yikes!  I had not realized that the Pod bucket was only 291 pieces (I • have
no interest in Pod racers so I have never looked closely at that • bucket).
Of course, the more specialty pieces (arches, castle walls, minifigs) • in a
bucket, the higher the cost per piece will be.  Even so, the concept • of a
castle bucket remains intriguing.

I'm not convinced that the cost need be higher just because of specialty
pieces.  I think the cost of producing a specialty piece in large
quantities is probably about the same as a simple 2x4 brick in large
quantities.  Producing limited amounts of specialty pieces, however,
would mean the overhead (setup time/labour for molding machines,
handling of stock, etc.) would be spread out over fewer pieces, which
would drive up the cost per piece.

So, I guess the best solution would be a reasonable limit on the variety
of pieces in a "Castle Specialty Bucket," and large numbers of the
buckets produced and sold to castle fiends.  :-)

Also-- I wonder if Lego had to pay a per-unit royalty fee to George
Lucas for every Star Wars item produced.  If so, then a castle bucket
might reasonably be priced lower than a comparable Pod Racer bucket.

And I suspect that Lego has a great deal of latitude in the final
pricing of sets.  I'm sure the actual cost of the raw parts is a very
small part of the final total price, which includes sorting of raw
parts, inner packaging, instruction booklets, outer packaging, shipping,
etc., etc.  Yet another reason that being able to buy a box of 5,000 1xN
light grey bricks from Lego would be good for everyone involved.  :-)

-Roy