 Castle / 6082
6081  |  6083
Subject:
Castle Floorplans and other coolness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:57:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In my search for information about shared universe stories, I came upon
a couple interesting sites:

The first, and most interesting to this group is:

http://www.hut.fi/~vesanto/link.useful/maps/castles.html

Which is a bibliography of resources for castle floorplans. It has a few
web links, but is mostly a bibliography of actual books.

The other site is:

http://www.borderzone.com/TWhistory1.htm

Which is a history of Borderlands, a shared universe setting aimed at
teens. It sounds interesting, and I have bookmarked it for later in
depth perusal, but what was interesting is that it mentions that the
artist they chose was Phil Hale, a friend of the person who introduced
me to RPGs, who is now an accomplished fantasy artist. He was one of the
participants of one of my more interesting chemical experimentations. At
the time, he was playing with film and was blowing up plastic models,
and this got us onto looking for ways to get explosives. I had stumbled
on a mention in my older sisters chemistry book that you could mix
sodium nitrate and potassium chloride (both of which were MUCH easier to
get) and get potassium nitrate (which you should all recognize as an
important ingredient in boom-boom stuff...). I think Phil was the one
who actually mixed those up with the appropriate measures of sulpher and
charcoal. The resultant concoction didn't explode, but it did burn hot
enough to "melt" some of the soil into glass. Of course, when I got to
high school chemistry, I learned that we missed an important step for
actually getting potassium nitrate was to mix the sodium nitrate and
potassium chloride in water, and then filter the potassium nitrate out
of the resulting salt water... It would have also helped to have put the
mixture in a better pressure vessel (and had we done that, it might well
have done a better impression of a boom).

Of course that interest in RPGs has eventually led me to another way to
get potassium nitrate. It's all over the place in some of the caves I
visit...

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com