 Castle / 6083
Re: RPG PBEM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:05:24 GMT

Anthony Sava wrote:

There is some real interesting stuff, and there
is interraction between multiple story tellers and their characters.

Frank

I've thought about doin something like that a lot, letting a wanderer through
my kingdom from another world, or vice versa, or have another worlds group help
my guys defeat a greater evil.  I don't know though, my characters are pretty
stuck in the world their in, I'm not sure how adding in the effects of another
world would do.

It can be a lot of fun to try and work with another persons creations.
This is what makes RPGs so much fun. Of course a full shared universe is
very difficult to pull off well (which is why the shared universe
fiction of the 80s has mostly died, though there are several folks who
continue to collaborate on books, but that is very different from a
shared universe setting [there are also at least a few shared universe
settings still active, I think Niven's Maz-Kzin Wars is still active and
every once in a while, a book for Pournelle's War World pops out]). It
is interesting to note that the shared universe idea did actually grow
out of interest in RPGs (Robert Asprin and co.s Thieves World which was
the first in that genre is mentioned as having grown out of some
discussion about role playing). Sadly, Thieves World deteriorated
because of problems between the authors. Somewhat more successefull were
several shared universe settings where the original author exercised
more editorial control. My favorite in this line is the Merovingen
Nights series by C. J. Cherryh and others. It also had the strength of
starting with a novel written by C.J. Cherryh by herself. Another good
series was Liavek edited by Will Shetterly and Emma Bul. Andre Norton
also edited Magic in Ithkar which was pretty good, but the stories have
almost no connection other than mostly occuring during a big fair in the
city of Ithkar.

I don't know if my story is any good, i know Leandro was looking for people
with stories more than test stories, but he also wanted illustrations,
something I've been working (and failing) to accomplish.
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/story.html

Castle World, temporarily here:

http://www.geocities.com/castle_world_temp/

is a good place to start looking for stories (or just search
lugnet.castle and lugnet.castle.org.cw).

Castle World could use an index to the stories though.
--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com