 Castle / 473
472  |  474
Subject:
New Castle? Huzzah!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:23:36 GMT

So I've gone and looked (as I'm sur eall of you have) at the new catalog
scans on brickshelf.  What can I say?  It looks like Castle is on the
upswing after FK.  (In deference to Mike, I'm not including Ninja as part of
Castle. 8)   )

Of course my final judgement will need to wait until I see prices, but...
I'm excited.

* The movable-visor is back! (OK, it was on *one* fig in *one* set in RK,
and in the Dacta castle set - it's still good to see it for those of us
that were in our Dark Ages when it was common.)

* I *like* the new wide-brimmed helmets.  They're a little bit unusual,
and it'll help me out when I'm amassing my armies, to give certain units
a different 'flavor' than other ones.

* The crest is a modified Royal Knight's crest. Hmm, more political fuel.
My LEGOverse past is already full of political intrigue, I wonder how this
will affect it?

* These demon-bull guys are pretty cool.  More faces for my Wolfpack or
some  *real* Legions of Terror to folow a Dark Emperor.  Sorry, the Fright
Knight guys just aren't that scary or even evil-looking.

* Speaking of that, what's the deal with demon-bull-dude-leader's eye?  Is
that supposed to be an eyepatch or a bloated indicator of demonic possession
or some other brand of Evil(tm)?

* Mmmm, seige equipment.  LOTS of seige equipment.  They haven't had much
of this for a while (Bat Lord's Catapult notwithstanding)  It's good to
see it come back.

Specific Set comments:

4806 - If this one's cheap enough, t'll be the backbone of many armies.
Even if you don't build the cart, that's a *well* armed minifig.

6026 - I'm probably least excited about this.  Two figs, a horse, and a
BURPwall. Look slike this one will be the equivalent of the Royal King or
the Bat Lord. I can tell I'm going to have a *lot* of King figures.

6032 - A catapult that throws something bigger than 1x1 rounds!  Watch out,
these guys are way ahead in the arms race!

6091 - Plenty of wall sections.  Is that a new CRAPP, or is it an old one
redone? The castle looks a lot sturdier and more defensible than the Royal
Knight's Castle.

6094 - I see brown torches.  Nice.  It *almost* looks like those towers
are designed to be modular, but I don't see the pegs, so probably not.
Too bad. I would have liked to see that come back.
What *are* those off-white inverse-slope pieces?  They're on the
castle, too.  It almost looks like a lion-head carving.  Interesting, but
not one of the most useful pieces I've ever seen.  Still, it looks like
they've been put to good use.  I wonder if that odd whitish color means
they're glow-in-the-dark?

6095 - a quintain!  How awesome!  OK, maybe it's nostalgia for the old
"Knight's Tournament"-type sets, but it's pretty cool to see this.  I
imagine I'll replace the axes, though...no sense killing the knights at a
friendly competition...

6096 - Beseiging bonanza!  It'll probably be pricy, but a seige tower/
battering ram, a...er...catapult/cannon thing, a regular catapult, and
whatever that other thing is supposed to be.  Some sort of practice
target?
Is the seige tower also a prison?  It *looks* like there's a fig
'locked up' inside there.

OK, time to start saving my pennies...

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
LEGO Want List:      http://www.io.com/~jeffj/LEGO/wantlist.txt
LEGO Trade List:     http://www.io.com/~jeffj/LEGO/tradelist.txt
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m