 Castle / 4396
    Did they have paint? —Bryan Wong
   Hi, Did they have paint back in the medieval ages? I'm thinking of making a gray building for example, but parts of the wall will have red "bricks" exposed. I don't think that would be correct for that time period though... Right? Bryan (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Did they have paint? —Richard Franks
     In lugnet.castle, Bryan Wong writes (...) I think so.. IIRC some pigments were in greater supply than others though. (...) Well, I know that Stirling Castle, Scotland had golden-yellow daubing on the walls, partly protection for the stone, partly (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Did they have paint? —Frank Filz
     (...) I just found a reference to Royal Purple paint first being used in Egypt in 1600 BC at (URL) at other references, it is clear that paint is a very early invention (the Lascaux cave paintings for example). (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Did they have paint? —Stephen F. Roberts
   (...) ...They had whitewash mixes usually, tho painting large structures was not common except real rich people. What would be (semi) common though was a brick wall with plaster covering (bricks were not as durable/weathereable, so the plaster (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Did they have paint? —John Carroll
   I'm trying to Remember my medieval Architecture class but what you said sounds right. They had paint but generally not for buildings. A stone structure was a stone structure they just made the stone structure look good (aprox 1100ad to 1300ad) (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Did they have paint? —John Carroll
   (...) oops typo the date was suposed to be after the word cathedrals. :-) John (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.castle)