 Castle / 4399
Re: Did they have paint?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:46:27 GMT

"Bryan Wong" <green_paper@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Did they have paint back in the medieval ages?

I'm thinking of making a gray building for example, but parts of the wall will
have red "bricks" exposed.  I don't think that would be correct for that time
period though... Right?

...They had whitewash mixes usually, tho painting large structures was not common except
real rich people. What would be (semi) common though was a brick wall with plaster
covering (bricks were not as durable/weathereable, so the plaster helped protect them and
made the whole thing look much better). Where the plaster chipped or aged, the bricks
would show through in patches.

(PS: Don't quote me on this! I'm trying to remember things long forgotten :-)

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com