 Castle / 4397
Re: Did they have paint?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bryan Wong writes

Did they have paint back in the medieval ages?

I think so.. IIRC some pigments were in greater supply than others though.

I'm thinking of making a gray building for example, but parts of the wall will
have red "bricks" exposed.  I don't think that would be correct for that time
period though... Right?

Well, I know that Stirling Castle, Scotland had golden-yellow daubing on the
walls, partly protection for the stone, partly decoration.. so you could have a
building that was yellow with grey stones revealed. But hey - it's LEGO - you
make up the rules! :)

Ie. if you can think of a medieval-tech reason for a pigment (clay can be grey
or red?), then you can do it. I have heard that the medieval period was
generally more coloured and gaudy then you'd think from looking at the odd damp
grey castle.

Richard