 Castle / 4400
Re: Did they have paint?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:58:30 GMT

I'm trying to Remember my medieval Architecture class but what you said sounds
right.  They had paint but generally not for buildings.  A stone structure was
a stone structure they just made the stone structure look good (aprox 1100ad
to 1300ad) example Gothic catherdrals.  they also used fresco's (probablly
spelt wrong), they painted onto the wet plaster for both works of art and to
tint the walls but the walls were usually tinted a brown or yellow color, less
expensive.  But those structures were not stone structures, But brick (I
think) called Romanesque(pre Gothic). As you might be able to guess we only
covered churches in my class.  I'd guess that in a castle the stone walls
would not be covered. A smaller building would probablly be built of bricks
and then coated in plaster.

In lugnet.castle, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
"Bryan Wong" <green_paper@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Did they have paint back in the medieval ages?

I'm thinking of making a gray building for example, but parts of the wall • will
have red "bricks" exposed.  I don't think that would be correct for that time
period though... Right?

...They had whitewash mixes usually, tho painting large structures was not • common except
real rich people. What would be (semi) common though was a brick wall with • plaster
covering (bricks were not as durable/weathereable, so the plaster helped • protect them and
made the whole thing look much better). Where the plaster chipped or aged, • the bricks
would show through in patches.

(PS: Don't quote me on this! I'm trying to remember things long forgotten :-)

same goes for me

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com