 Castle / 21115
Re: Set Information: Unknown Sets (Viking Long Ship, Castle)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Michael Berz wrote:
In 1993 Toy R US in Kokomo and Indianapolis, Indiana saw some sets that were
not mini-figure scale in the 500 – 1200 piece range.  Sets were of a castle
(2-3 different sets), school, Roman War Galley, and a Viking long ship.  I
have not seen or been able to find any information since 1994 that relates to
these sets but I am quite sure they were Lego and not another brand.  I was a
poor college student at the time and was not able to afford to buy them.  Now
that I am no longer a poor college student it seems like I saw a ghost.

Does anyone have information or pictures that relate to these sets?

Well, I have to say I'm of the mind to think that it was probably another brand.
To my knowledge, Lego has never released a non-minifig-scale castle or
pre-1600's ship that hasn't been minifig scale, with the possible arguable
exception of the weetabix castle set that I've seen a few pictures of here and
there (but that was back in the 70's, IIRC). Most sets that aren't in minifig
scale are technic, model team, Duplo, Belville, or Scala.

You can find Lego catalogs here: http://peeron.com/scans/

It shows a castle-themed minifig scale ship (6057), but not really viking or
romanesque.

At the time, I know MegaBloks was around, so it's entirely possible that you saw
one of their sets-- and it's possible that Tyco Superblocks were even still
around which could explain it as well. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a
lot of history online of MegaBloks or Tyco Superblocks sets, so it's probably
very difficult to say with any certainty that it was one of them.

I have fairly extensive info on Mega Bloks back to 1993.  In post 21060, Clark
correctly identified the two most likely possibilities from Mega Bloks:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=21060
These two sets came out in 1995 and had 370 and 725 pieces, respectively.  Both
are minifig scale.

As far as I know, Tyco had no longship-style ship available at that time.  Heck,
the brand was on its last legs by that time.

Dave!

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier, but I only caught the thread today.