 Castle / 20126
Re: Knights' Kingdom™ is ugly.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 03:55:31 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Felix Greco wrote:
   Okay, I know I’m not saying anything new here. But give me a moment before you pass this off as another rant:

I realize there are things going on at the company we AFOLs don’t know about. I realize there is probably a certain piece-to-play ratio you’re considering. I realize certain colors attract attention more than others. I realize there is a certain “build-to-play” time factor considered in production for different age groups. I’m not going to go off about the bar going down because thats been done quite elequently already.

But,I refuse to believe these factors cannot be done in a more aesthetically pleasing way. The new Knights’ Kingdom™ mini-fig sets are an eye-sore. I don’t think the common consumer would even recognize they are some type of castle-like creation unless they had a castle looking mini-fig with them.

Before I’m blown off as one more nostalgic adult fan, consider this: we here at lugnet know your product. Put us to the test. What factors need to be considered? I’ll bet my last dollar a Sava or a Hoffman could pump out a model that meets all your specifications and is still beautiful in form and function.

    6086 Black Knight's Castle
569 elements, 12 figures, US$85, 1992
LEGO > SYSTEM > Castle > Black Knights
   Pretty

    8778 Border Ambush
178 elements, 2 figures, US$20, 2004
LEGO > SYSTEM > Castle > Knights' Kingdom II
   Pretty Ugly

Dear LEGO company, you can and have done better.

Felix

I have to agree with you Felix. LEGO is my #1 hobby, but my #2 is medieval stuff (weapons mostly). I have many books with photos of real castles, so I can recognize a good/accurate castle model done in LEGO. The 2004 castle sets resemble Playmobile on acid much to closely to be considered good sets; they are eyesores. I think it boils down to visual Mommy-I-want-that competition in the toy aisles and also aiming at a younger crowd of kids who don’t yet think that playing with LEGOS is uncool. (I have yet to understand why this happens in the first place.)

Fortunately for us AFOL’s, LEGO isn’t completely deaf when it comes to producing good castle models:

    3739 Blacksmith Shop
622 elements, 2 figures, US$40, 2002
LEGO > My Own Creation

David “Fuzzy” Gregory