 Castle / 19840
Re: Castle wall idea - using 3 x 3 x 6 Corners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 10:12:25 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2004, Jeff Shiner wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2004, Jeff Shiner wrote:

http://members.rogers.com/jashiner/wall1.JPG
http://members.rogers.com/jashiner/wall2.JPG

Looks nice.  I don't know prototypical it is (I can think of a few
military problems with a wall built that way) but it looks strong and
imposing.

Thanks for the feedback.  Military problems in defending or attacking?

Defending.  The point of projecting towers is so the defenders can sweep
the fronts of the walls with projectile fire.  With a wavy front, an
attacker standing between two of the waves would be hard(er) to hit,
because the wall itself would be defending him.

   I wonder if it would be harder to get a ladder up to a wavy
   wall, though.

Also, I suspect that this design might make it easier for weapons that
target the walls (catapults, battering rams, etc.) to be guided into
hitting the same spot on the wall repeatedly.  Then again, all the angles
might mean that projectiles will tend to hit obliquely and bounce off
at an angle instead of hitting the wall straight on, thus making the walls
*more* resistant to direct attack.

   In fact, it doesn't.  That principle only holds true if the
   oblique angle tends to deflect shot into open air.  If it
   deflects shot into a pocket point of the vehicle or building,
   it's what is known as a "shot trap," which is not good because
   it tends to concentrate the kinetic energy of projectiles at
   or around a single point.  I presume the principle would work
   with trebuchets and catapults just as it works with 8.8cm
   artillery, just without such extreme amounts of energy.

   all best

   LFB