 Castle / 18316
Re: Help me answer my nephew's question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:50:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Alan Findlay wrote:
   Hi all,

My 7 yr old nephew sent me this message, with a further explanation from my sister-in-law.

Uncle Alan, Why does Gilbert the Bad have his eye patched out? Jonathan (a patch on his eye)

I heard that pirates (or in this case - Gilbert the Bad) wore eye patches so that if they ever had to fight in the dark, one eye would already be adjusted.

So some wore patches even with two healthy eyes :)

-- Pawel

Acutally, I’ve heard that some of today’s special forces do the same thing. The reason being that if there is a failure in their night vision equipment, they will still have one eye that can adjust to the dark quickly. It’s second hand information, so take it for what it’s worth.

-Duane

Added lugnet.build.military to the mix too.