 Castle / 17
Re: Castle Newbie Recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:48:08 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Joseph Gonzalez writes:
I hear quite a bit that the 6097-Night Lord's Castle is on discount these
days. The principle model is kind of stinky, but I would still recommend
picking this set up for the amount of castle walls, pillars, and trap doors it
will afford you.  I'd suggest paying not more than $60.00 for this. You could
also grab some 5145 grey bricks from shop-at-home to help pad out your
castles.

I actually like the interior design on Night Lord's Castle... it looks very
much like it might be plausible for a main room inside a real castle (w/
fireplace, nice subtle coloring, etc) But from the *outside*... BLECH!

The most affordable would probably be the royal knights:
6078 - royal drawbridge, and 6090 royal knight's castle.

Going back further, you could also seek out the forestmen sets:
6066 - camouflaged outpost, 6071 - forestmen's crossing (though you might have
to pay extra just because of the forest wench) and 6077 - forestmen's river
fortress.

Some of the smaller past sets also included snipits of castles-- Knight's
Stronghold, Skeleton Surprise, Battering Ram, Siege Tower, Armor Shop,
Blacksmith's Shop (sorry, don't know the numbers offhand) If you can find 'em,
they're probably more cost-effective than some of the large castles... Although
some of them (like the Armor Shop and Blacksmith's Shop... maybe others too)
are kinda rare, so they might be more $$ anyway...

Some nice (and worthwhile) grail sets would be
6080 - king's castle, and 6085 - black monarchs castle
I mention these because they are substantial sets and not simply overpriced
because of a unique design or figure.

Yeah, these are definitly cool. I avoided getting 6090 (Royal Knight's Castle)
because of the ugly baseplate when it came out... I'm rather sick of TLG
substituting big baseplates for good design work, and keeping the price the
same (or increasing it, in some cases)... King's Castle, Black Monarch's
Castle, Black Falcon's Fortress, and Knight's Castle are all pretty good,
though... they still have the more realistic color scheme (as opposed to the
kinda silly yellow castle [although this set is definitly cool!]) and don't
have big ugly raised baseplates (BURBs as opposed to BURPs?)

Anyway, good luck collecting!

DaveE