 Castle / 16
Re: Castle Newbie Recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:03:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
After two years of collecting pirates stuff and only the REAL expensive stuff
left to get, I've decided to move into castles. • --snippage--
I know - I'm too darn late on this series, too.  I'm not willing to pay
extremely high prices (I'd rather get what's available and cheap and construct
my own).  Nevertheless, I'd like to hear what sets (don't quote set numbers
only, please!) people like.

I hear quite a bit that the 6097-Night Lord's Castle is on discount these days.
The principle model is kind of stinky, but I would still recommend picking this
set up for the amount of castle walls, pillars, and trap doors it will afford
you.  I'd suggest paying not more than $60.00 for this.
You could also grab some 5145 grey bricks from shop-at-home to help pad out
your castles.

How about some affordable sets that go well together (black themed castles as
opposed to grey, for example)?

The most affordable would probably be the royal knights:
6078 - royal drawbridge, and 6090 royal knight's castle.

Going back further, you could also seek out the forestmen sets:
6066 - camouflaged outpost, 6071 - forestmen's crossing (though you might have
to pay extra just because of the forest wench) and 6077 - forestmen's river
fortress.

Some nice (and worthwhile) grail sets would be
6080 - king's castle, and 6085 - black monarchs castle
I mention these because they are substantial sets and not simply overpriced
because of a unique design or figure.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up looking for and acquiring!

..joseph g