 Castle / 16581
Re: Five mini-MOCs: Dutch style shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:36:47 GMT

Twan,

The shops look great.  The color schemes work very well.  The decorations on
the roofs add a great touch.  I also really like the effect of the wall
extending up next to the roof.  I think my favorite parts of the buildings
are the way you've set some of the door and windows 1 stud in from the main
wall.

One slight criticism.  I don't like some of the modern looking doors and
windows.  Did you try using shuttered windows like the Blacksmith Shop, and
older looking doors?

Thanks for posting the pics!

-Aaron

"Twan" <Twanneman@planet.nl> wrote in message news:HD1syr.16MB@lugnet.com...
Hello,

On my brickshelf you can find pictures of five small
MOCs all based on the same format, but with
differences in the details such as color, doors,
windows, chimneys etc.:

These are supposed to look like small shops in a
Dutch 17th or 18th century style. Probably not exactly
true to the style but I hope to catch its 'look and feel'
in ABS bricks.

Please pay special notice to this one:

Depicted is csar Peter the Great of Russia drinking a
glass of jenever. When Peter the Great visisted the
Netherlands to learn about shipbuilding he was
offered jenever, a spirit common in Flanders and the
Netherlands. Appreciating the beverage he asked his
hosts for the recipe and upon his return in
St. Petersburg summoned his distillers and told them
to make the same stuff for him. Someway or the other
they goofed up and the resulting beverage was not
really jenever, but still a good enough drink, so the
Russians continued to distill this spirit we know
nowadays as wodka.

Cheers, Twan.
--
Twanneman@planet.nl