 Castle / 15020
Re: M. Marketplace standard question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 01:06:02 GMT

Hi Ben,

When the group was working on standards, we were primarily thinking in terms
of temporary style one-level structures/stalls, not permanent buildings. So
it was a bit of a surprise - a pleasant and welcome surprise - when the
first creations were houses!!!

The standard as initially created is not fully suited to this style of
building, as your questions point to some short-comings in that area. That's
why I feel a Town standard is a good idea - more complicated, but a worthy
endeavour nonetheless.

The roadway envisioned for the Marketplace is not really a road or street,
but a pedestrian pathway amidst stalls. Equine and wheeled transport
wouldn't really fit except during early morning/late evening hours when
shoppers are gone. Certainly carriages wouldn't be expected to navigate
between the stalls.

At least, that's my understanding. Others among the standards group may have
other opinions.

So, I don't know that I've actually answered your questions. It looks a bit
more like a long-winded shrug. Not trying to duck the issue -- we just
really didn't consider the types of permanent buildings that have been
created so far.

(I really like the buildings that have been created so far. I hope to use
them as a basis for putting houses in my own city - once the wall is done.)

Alan

In lugnet.castle, Ben Gatrelle writes:
Hi builders, planners, et al.
I have a few questions about the Marketplace standards.
1) The road overhang can only overlap by 1 stud right, but how high?  How
much clearance is needed for men on horseback, carts, carriages, wagons, etc
that may come rolling down the street. Should there be a standard of 8
bricks or so up before the building can overhang into the street? I don't
remember seeing this mentioned elsewhere.

2) Same question, but for the back alley. Is overhang allowed there, and if
so, how high?

BEN GATRELLE