 Castle / 13800
Re: Temple of Shan-Ta-Ree
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:50:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jim Foulds writes:

Thanks to both Bruce and Lindsay for their compliments.  I too enjoyed
Stephen's message, especially the very last award :)

I must admit that I am surprised at the number of people who have commented
on the fiber optics usage as streams of water, asking me what piece it was
and from what sets it came from.

I consider myself a generalist when it comes to Lego, meaning I buy sets
from all categories so I have a vast array of parts and I build whatever
strikes me at the moment.  So as I was building the temple, I just matched
up the pieces that best represented what I wanted to build.  So if I have
provided another idea for what some may consider a useless part, then I am
very happy, because I think all Lego has a use, it's up to the user to
figure it how!

While not exactly the same, in a similar usage, Tony Hedglen had a fountain
in his area in the MichLUG display at GATS in January.  He actually raised
the area it was on, so they could light up.  Most of the kids and a number
of the adults got a kick out of it.

So if anyone else has any ideas as to how to display streaming water with
Lego, I would love to hear about it.  One idea that I have seen was done by
Greg Perry on his Belville house (if you haven't seen it, go look, it is
absolutely gorgeous) where he used trans-blue 1x1 round plates to make a
stream from a statue.

Keep Building,
Jim F.

Fabulous creation by the way.  It must be a pain trying to transport it
though.  I really like the front gate with the grey lightsaber hilts in the
arches.

-Jason

Jason Spears
MichLUG - http://www.michlug.org/