 Castle / 13016
13015  |  13017
Subject:
2 MOCs on Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:51:49 GMT

Hi everybody,

2 MOCs of mine have been photo'd and placed on Brickshelf.
While I'm still in the process of making pictures of another MOC
I'd like to place on the web, I don't know when this will be
finished. So I decided on this post to announce my MOCs and
write some explainatory text for those interested.

Dragon Cathedral:

With this MOC I tried to build a roman style cathedral with two
(identical) towers in front.
The two towers are important to me, it's a configuration I like
very much and I'm happy with the way it works out here.
Another point of attention were the windows. Windows of an
old cathedral or church are typically high, rather narrow with
painted glass in lead. Because of my limited amount of
transparent bricks I had to forget about making all windows
with painted glass. I decided to build black bars instead for
most of the windows and this works out nicely, IMHO.
One of the windows, the upper one in the back is build with
transparent bricks. Especially with the sun shining in it this
window looks interesting. The painted glass windows from
Knights Kingdom sets however are not very convincing, they
probably need more light behind them.
Not being very experienced with slope bricks the roofs were
especially challenging to tackle. It seems useful to consider
roof design before putting the first bricks on a baseplate. I
could probably have saved a lot of rebuilding by first making
the roofs and next the building to come underneath.
The name 'Dragon Cathedral' is because of the three dragon
statues in the front. Inspired by scenes out of Revelations that
can sometimes be found above the entrance to remind the
visiting parishioners of the doom awaiting them in afterlife if
they commit to sin, I originally wanted to incorporate some
apocalyptic horsemen in the front of the building. I tried to
make something of it using LEGO horses but never found the
results satisfactionary. Out of ideas I tried placing black
dragons. A rip-off really, since dragons hardly play a role
in Roman Catholic mythology, but they look cool anyway and
I left it like that.
Though a lot of major and minor details can be improved in
this MOC, building it was a very challenging and pleasant
experience. I'll probably want to build another cathedral in
the future.

Tudor house with garden:

Though I built this one from scratch, it is really an adaptation
of the Blacksmith Shop. I kept my copy of this set near while
building and used it for reference, so credits should go to
Daniel Siskind for the original design.

I read lugnet.castle, but very irregular. If someone wants to
comment, please do not be disappointed if I reply late or
not at all.

Twan.
--
Twanneman@planet.nl