 Castle / 12632
Re: I know it's been brought up before, humor me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:55:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
Why do you read stories posted to .castle (or anywhere on lugnet)?  Do you
read them for the plot lines?  Do you read them to be nice to the person
who posted?  Do you read them not for the story but merely for the eye
candy (pictures)?  A combo of these, or some other reason entirely?

I read the stories for a number of these reasons.  It depends on various
factors.

I'll initially look at pretty much any story posted here.  But I am
primarily here for Lego.  So generally, if I don't see any Lego then I very
quickly leave.  If I wanted to spend a bunch of time reading fantasy
stories, I'd buy a book (which I don't because I simply don't have time like
I used to).  Making me stick around doesn't always take a whole lot of Lego
if the story is interesting and easy to follow.  If a story is really long
and not very interestingly illustrated, I'm outta there.

I have to agree here.  Lego is what it is all about.  Without lego its just
stories, and then i judge them on literary talents, which makes them difficult
because they aren't written as literary stories.  we aren't here for short
story workshop.

What really draws me into a story is when the pictures really expose something
about the characters.  the great thing about anthony's work is that the
pictures seem almost of real people, with minimal editing and great positioning
a minifig head or dragon face can be angry or happy.

personally, i still haven't read the unillustrated chapters.

If it is illustrated, but the whole (plot plus imagery) isn't very good, I
might leave.  Or I might read on to be nice to the person who posted.  If I
think that some improvement can be made, I'll sometimes pass on some
suggestions.  But this can be tricky, as not everyone takes constructive
criticism well.  If I can't find something positive to say and I'm not
really comfortable with the person, it's not worth me trying to pad what I
have to say and I won't bother.

i hope you don't do that with my story <http://www.lugnet.com/~1168/caerany/>,
because honesty is the basis for growth.

I wish there was a way for people to say something like: be honest with what
you think, even be cruel if it is what you really think.  taking the time to
give criticism nicely can take a lot of the message out and really make posting
worthless. the large number of younger people reading here can make honesty
hard (younger tend to take things more personally).  but limiting all feedback
to only positive feedback leads to mediocrity.

<snip>

to reemphasize my point.. it is the Lego that draws me in. although not
necessarily what keep me there.. it is still good to have a quality story.

peace
-eynln